For the Sweet Pate Brisée
Plain Flour 500g
Egg yolk 2pcs
For the Almond Frangipane Cream
Egg Yolks 2pcs
Sugar 15g + 280g
Soft Butter 300g
Whole eggs 280g
Almond powder 300g
For the Poached Pears
(Varieties: Williams, Comice or Conference)
6 Ripe Pears (for 2 tarts)
Water 1.5 litre
Cinnamon stick 2pc
Star anis 5 stars
For assembly and baking
Almond flakes 120g
Apricot glaze 80g
Soft Butter for brushing pan 10g
Flour for dusting pan 20g
Sweet Pate Brisée
1. Place the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl
2. Cut the butter into small cubes
3. Rub the butter into the flour mixture
4. Make a well in the middle of the bowl and add in the water and egg yolk
5. Continue to knead the dough until all ingredients are combined evenly
6. Cover the dough with cling wrap and leave it to rest in the chiller for 1 hour
7- Roll out the dough to 2mm thickness and cut a circle of 30cm diameter (keep chilled)
Almond Frangipane Cream
1. To make a pastry cream, bring milk to a boil in a saucepan.
2. In a mixing bowl use a small hand whisk to whisk together the egg yolks and 15g of sugar until creamy.
3. Whisk in the corn flour and mix well.
4. Pour boiling milk into the yolk mixture and whisk well.
5. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook at medium low heat until mixture is thick and bubbling.
6. Remove the pastry cream from the heat, place a cling wrap on the surface, cool in an ice bath.
7. To make the almond frangipane cream, in another mixing bowl, mix together 300g soft butter and 300g sugar with a spatula.
8. Gradually add in whole eggs one at a time, alternating with a bit of almond powder, until all the eggs and almond powder are evenly incorporated.
9. Whisk the cooled pastry cream to a smooth paste and mix into the almond cream mixture.
10. Set aside and keep chilled.
1. To make the poaching syrup, place water, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon stick and star anis in a saucepan
2. Bring to a boil and reduce to a low simmer
3. Peel the pears, keeping the stalk
4. Lower the pears into the hot poaching syrup and poach it at low heat for 8-10minutes
5. Remove from the heat and leave the pears in the syrup to cool
Assembly and Baking
1. Preheat the oven at 180°C.
2. Brush a thin layer of butter onto the fluted tart pan.
3. Dust a layer of flour in the pan and tap out the excess flour.
4. Press the rolled out tart dough into the pan and trim away any excess dough.
5. Spread the almond frangipane cream into the tart and fill to just above half the tart pan.
6. Cut the poached pears into halves and remove the stem and core.
7. Arrange a circle and press the pear halves into the almond cream.
8. Sprinkle the almond flakes around the rim of the tart.
9. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, turning after 15-20 minutes to get even colour throughout the tart.
10. Remove from the oven when the crust and almond cream are a golden brown colour.
11. Leave it to cool for 15 minutes and remove the tart from the pan.
12. Heat up the glaze and brush a light layer over the baked tart.
13. Leave it to cool completely for about 1 hour before serving.